Thursday, June 19, 2008

16-18th June 2008, Chongfu Pri P5 Camp.

Done with the taggie replies and reading a few blogs.
Now to write about Chongfu Pri P5 camp.
P5s...haha....had to shout alot because the kids were too playful. lol....but we had fun.
O...and I just bought my camera the day before the camp. It's the Olympus u1030SW. The shockproof and waterproof one. So there's even picture from Nature Rumble this camp!

Day 1:
Met at 0700hr at Jurong Point and took a cab down to Sarimbun Scouts camp.
Prepared the campsite and logistics for the camp then waited for the arrival of the students.
Finally, my 33 little monkeys(literally) arrived. This camp, even though each group has 2 instructors, only the main group IC follows the group around. The 2IC is a station IC and he stays at the activity stations throughout the camp. I'm the main group IC, so I had the little monkey to control whole of the 3D2N. Man, was it a headache!
The first activity they had is....MUDSPA! lol....Dirtiest activity to start of the camp!
My 2IC was the station IC for Nature Rumble but he haven't conducted it before, so I conducted the first session of Nature Rumble, which is for my group and he tag along.
Many of the kids were initially reluctant to sit down and play in the mud, but after I promised to bring them to the waterfall if they do, all of them sat down. I taugth them the "Ah nor neh" cheer while we were sitting in the mud.
After that we all got to the waterfall and......posed for photo!
The plan initially was not to bring any group to the waterfall as those who have been there would know, the current is strong and the water is deep. I decided to carry on with it because the kids in my group were quite tall and all knew how to swim, in addition, it hadn't rain in a few days so the water level was not that high.
However, the choice proved to be wrong! Though they were tall enough, the current was still too strong for primary school kids. So the other groups did not go to the waterfall.

Day 2 :
The boys in the group were a bit hooked on the "Ah nor neh" cheer and was doing it when they were waiting for lunch. The kids where quite competitive and enthusiastic throughout the day. However, they were not able to accept failures too well, especially the girls, they tend to take things too hard. They where the first to finish the telematch, sat down, and did a cheer. But because they did not line up properly and sit down after it, the judges did not recognise their victory. A few girls took it quite hard. After that during campfire, I was the MC for the campfire. (Trekkers planning to train permanent MC for both camps and events. I was a little hesitant initially, but it's good training. So went for it. To challenge myself and to set an example for all my little monkeys). Games were played during the campfire, my group didn't win, though in on of the games, they got 2nd. They didn't take it well. The girls were expecting me to help them win since I was their group instructor.
Of course I did not, little monkeys, winning is not the most important thing. It's the process. As long as you did your best, be proud of it. If you won something and you know it's not because you are good, will you be proud of it?
My 2IC brought them off for debrief while I helped to pack up the sound system for the campfire. When I went over to them, some of the girls actually started shouting "Monkey I hate you!" at the sight of me. This kind of thinking actually spoilt the camp experience for them. They had been enjoying themselves so much for the pass 2 days but just because of this, they feel that they hate the camp.
Had to help them change their mindset with the debrief.

Lesson for all little monkey and readers:
Don't be blinded by the title of a victor. Winning is not eveything.
Also, look on the positive side. Life is short and there's bound to be ups and downs in life. Do not let the little set backs and unhappy things spoilt it.
The girls of my group in this camp were to concerned about winning and when things didn't go their way, they too it too hard. So much that they forgot how much fun they actually had the past two days.
Why let such little things in life spoil your mood? Think positive. Enjoy life!

Day 3:
After debrief last night I supposed the campers did reflect, even though they are only 11.
Had breakfast then did area cleaning, which was failed in the end and I had to sweep the sand off the whole dining area alone while they were doing the closing of the camp. T_T
Final debrief went well I guess. Most if not all the campers understood that they shouldn't take things too hard and that winning is not everything. Do thing not to win but for pride. So it still ended with 33 happy faces.
Didn't manage to give the sweets to the kids because ofthat too. I was still sweeping...

After the kids left and the area cleaning passed, we went over to camp christine for our own debrief for the camp. Everything was ok! ^_^
Some Girl Guide were camping there. Was hoping to see some camper from East Spring, she told me she'll be there for camp and asked if I'll be having camp. But, too bad, didn't get to see. They where too far from the place we did the debriefing.
.....

Stay tuned for the next post on today's episode of My Blog My World

No comments: